Helping Families Establish Adult Guardianships

Parents who are caring for a child with special needs, such as a learning disability or autism, can face legal issues once the child reaches age 18. A parent may no longer have the legal authority to act on their child’s behalf once they are a legal adult.

One option that parents have as their children transition into adulthood is to establish a guardianship. At the Law Office of Annette Rutkowski LLC, I help families implement adult guardianships that help secure their children’s well-being. With offices in Indianapolis, I am able to serve clients in central, western and southern Indiana.

Why Establish A Guardianship?

A guardian is a chosen person who has the legal authority to make decisions on behalf of another person (the ward) who is unable to make these decisions on their own. When parents establish a guardianship for their children, they are ensuring they will be able to continue to help their children make the best decisions for their lives for years to come.

A guardianship will allow you to help your child make a number of important decisions, including:

  • File for disability benefits: Adults who suffered a disability as a child may be eligible to receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability benefits. Your status as the child’s guardian means you can file the application on their behalf.
  • Medical care: A guardian may make decisions surrounding important, life-sustaining medical treatments.
  • Financial decisions: Guardians may be responsible for handling the ward’s finances, investing any assets they own and keeping records of any expenditures that are made.

A guardianship can be a great tool, but it may not be the best option for your family. It is important to speak with an attorney about your wishes and outline the planning strategies that are available to you.

I believe that a lawyer should provide a personal touch throughout the legal process. I take the time to learn about you and your family to identify the best option to help you accomplish your goals and defend your child’s interests.

Learn More About Your Options

Parents want to do what is best for their children. I will work closely with you every step of the way to protect your child’s future. To discuss your situation with me, please call 317-663-9781 in Indianapolis.

You may also reach me by sending me an email.