Social Security Disability Appeals Council And Remands

If your Social Security Disability claim is denied at your initial application and at your hearing before an administrative law judge, many attorneys will advise you to stop fighting and file a new application. If you have received this advice, now is a time when you could benefit from a second opinion.

I am attorney Annette Rutkowski. Unlike most lawyers who handle disability claims, I am experienced at advanced appeals, including appeals to the Social Security Appeals Council and federal district court appeals. As a woman lawyer who owns her own firm, I believe I bring nurturing and care-giving skills to my cases that many law firms do not.

I offer a free initial consultation to provide you a second opinion. For your convenience, I have offices in Indianapolis and Lafayette.

What Is The Social Security Appeals Council?

The Appeals Council is headquartered in Falls Church, Virginia. The Appeals Council will review your case file and the decision of the administrative law judge at your hearing. You also have the ability to submit additional evidence to support your claim. As your lawyer, I can point out any mistakes the judge may have made at your hearing. The appeals council can then take one of three steps:

  • Deny your request. In this case, you can file an appeal to federal district court within 60 days.
  • Send the case back for a second hearing with the administrative law judge. This is known as a remand.
  • Award disability benefits to you, along with past-due benefits.

Many disability law firms only go so far in helping their clients navigate the Social Security system. I have a track record of success in advanced appeals. I often represent clients who have been dropped by their first lawyer after benefits were denied at their hearing.

For more information about the Social Security Disability Appeals Council and remands or to schedule a consultation, call 317-663-9781 in Indianapolis or 765-588-3593 in Lafayette, or complete our simple contact form.