4 Common Questions About SSD Benefits

If you need more information about a Social Security Disability (SSD) topic, I offer a free initial consultation to sit down with you and answer your questions. With offices in Indianapolis, I represent clients throughout central, western and southern Indiana.

Below are four questions that my clients frequently ask me during our initial consultations.

Can You Get Disability Benefits After Age 50?

If you are disabled and are over the age 50, Social Security will take a more realistic look at your age, education and experience in determining whether you are able to work given your health condition. As a result, many people find it is relatively easy to qualify for disability benefits past age 50.

What Are Social Security Disability Compassionate Allowances?

The Social Security Administration provides compassionate allowances to allow applicants with certain severe medical conditions to obtain disability benefits quickly. Examples of compassionate allowance conditions include cancer, traumatic brain injury, Alzheimer’s disease and autoimmune diseases.

What Is The Continuing Disability Review (CDR)?

The Social Security Administration will periodically review your medical condition to determine if you are still disabled. These reviews may happen approximately every three years. If the Social Security Administration no longer considers you disabled, it will stop your benefits. In this event, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible.

Are There Benefits For Children Or Widows?

If you qualify for Social Security Disability benefits, your children may also be entitled to benefits if they are:

  • Unmarried and under age 18
  • Between the ages of 18 to 19 and a full-time high school student
  • 18 or older with a disability that started before age 22

If you die, your spouse may be entitled to disability benefits based on your work history if he or she is:

  • Between the ages 50 and 60
  • Disabled
  • Suffering from a disability that started within seven years of the decedent’s death

Get Answers To Your Questions

To schedule a consultation, call my firm at 317-663-9781 in Indianapolis.

You can also reach me by completing my simple contact form.